Saturday, September 22, 2012

Human Nature


This blog has been a long time coming. As a deployed soldier, I've been looking for an outlet to express myself as well as share what I'm learning on deployment and in seminary. So here is the beginning what will hopefully be something lasting. 


The other day I was watching a sitcom in which there was a college debate arguing whether humankind is basically evil or basically good. This, plus some personal experiences lately, has really had me thinking about human nature. I have two basic sources that give me an idea about the true nature of humanity. It's obvious to see from the biblical account that humankind is ultimately evil. 


Romans 3:10
"As it is written, 'There is none righteous, no, not one;'"

Romans 3:23
"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."

Romans 7:19
"For the good I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice."


There's much more about human nature in the Bible than this, but I love Paul's writings. It's obvious to me that Paul and I have a lot of the same struggles. This leads me to my second source on human nature, which is my personal experience. I could talk about current events all day. I could talk about terrorism, murder, rape, human trafficking, slavery, and other atrocities across the globe. But when it comes to the state of humanity, it's much more personal. I only have to look as far as myself. 

Here's what human nature means to me personally. 

Human nature is:
- Knowing the right thing to do, but being unwilling to do it. 
- The ability to give great advice to others, but unable to follow that advice myself. 
- The ability to treat those closest to us the worst. 

You see, sometimes I feeling the biggest dirtbag of a human. I guess this is what makes grace such an incomprehensible reality. 


What does human nature mean to you? 



No comments:

Post a Comment